August 2-4, 2019 is Virginia Tax Free Weekend
Skip the tax on qualifying school supplies, clothing, footwear, and more!
During the sales tax holiday, you can buy qualifying school supplies, clothing, footwear, hurricane and emergency preparedness items, and Energy Star™ and WaterSense™ products without paying sales tax.
What is eligible?
To get a complete list of what is, and is not, eligible check the Virginia Dept of Taxation website.
School supplies, clothing and footwear
- qualified school supplies – $20 or less per item
- qualified clothing and footwear – $100 or less per item
Hurricane and emergency preparedness products
- Portable generators – $1,000 or less per item
- Gas-powered chainsaws – $350 or less per item
- Chainsaw accessories – $60 or less per item
- Other specified hurricane preparedness items – $60 or less per item
Energy Star and WaterSense products
- Qualifying Energy Star™ or WaterSense™ products purchased for noncommercial home or personal use – $2,500 or less per item